Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Folsom Blues

I screwed up. I started well. I felt very fast on my way to the TT. I was hitting speeds far higher than I usually do on my way to the trail without even trying. I made it to the start in good shape. I was the fifth starter and I passed all four of the riders ahead of me in short order. I maintained a speed of at least 36mph into a healthy headwind on the way out and the turnaround, jumping out of the velomobile, lifting it up, turning it around and jumping back in went smoothly. As I was getting in, though, I noticed the velomobile listing heavily to the left. I thought, "Oh shit, a flat!". Not wanting to lose time I just went and hoped for the best. I got up to 28mph and felt so much resistance that I was certain I had a flat. I stopped, got out and checked the front left tire. It was fine. I got back in and thought with the wind at my back maybe I could still salvage a decent time since I should easily be able to cruise over 40mph. I must have psyched myself out because it still felt harder than usual. I stopped again and checked the other tires and they were fine too. WTF! What a loser. It's a good thing, with Battle Mountain being my prime (only, really) focus this year, I don't really care about my results today. Still, it'll give me more incentive to redeem myself after B.M. on the Putah Creek course.

No comments: