Thursday, June 27, 2013

training 6-27-13

Folsom Canal, 21.5 miles. Birkenstein (172.5mm cranks). 1) 257w, 2) 256w. My quads were pretty worn. Actually, all of my cycling muscles could use some rest as I never allow myself to fully recover until a race but my quads were especially easy-burning this morning. I thought I'd have to resort to a sub-200 watt recovery ride but once I got on the trail my glutes and hamstrings kicked in and I was able to put in a decent effort. I juggled my diet around a bit and managed to improve my feeling of well-being substantially. I cut back on milk consumption to a little over a half gallon and I stopped taking it straight altogether. I use it only in oatmeal (I cook the oatmeal in milk instead of water- two parts milk to one part oatmeal). The reason I switched from low-fat to whole milk is because I was hoping the extra fat would slow down the absorption of lactose. Well, between the obvious and unpleasant change in my body composition and the funky feeling that came with drinking so much milk that plan wasn't working so well. The milk and oatmeal mix works better for blood-sugar stabilization especially since I quit adding sugar to it (duh). Anyway, I feel pretty good all-around. Well, except for my extra (estrogen-induced?) jiggly-ness. I'm going to try non-fat milk in oatmeal to see if I can solve that problem. I'll make up the calorie deficit with more eggs. This might seem like an overly vain concern but I don't really care how good I look. What does concern me is limiting myself on how bad I look (aka the FOG factor).

No comments: