Monday, June 24, 2013

training 6-24-13

Folsom Canal, 21.5 miles. Birkenstein (172.5mm cranks). My Powertap didn't work so no data. I hope it's just a dead battery and not that I was riding in the rain. Anyway, I consider it a blessing in disguise. I woke up with some pretty worked feeling glutes and was considering taking the day off but the soreness eventually worked itself out. The lack of Powertap policing allowed me to take it a little easy. I'm starting to think that the combination of slow tires and the lessened aerodynamic-flywheel effect from not using the hood and foothole covers is affecting my pedal stroke to the point of adding a new kind of stress. Pedaling is more of a slog now in the velomobile. It might be a good thing but maybe it's too much of the wrong kind of stress (like riding in a storm). Anyway, I'm feeling a bit testy. Of course, checking on my velomobile this morning to see how the new tube is holding up and finding it flat didn't improve my feelings of brotherly love. I need to get that front wheel situation straightened out once and for all. I've been slacking because I've just been so tired this year and it's hard to get motivated. With the stock Kojaks and properly-fitting Schaeder-valved tubes I've had zero flats. With the Duranos and now the old Continental Top Touring 2000 I'm getting too many. Between protruding spoke nipples and overly long tubes...

No comments: