Monday, June 17, 2013

training 6-17-13

Folsom Canal, 21.5 miles. Birkenstein (172.5mm cranks). 1) 213w, 2) 212w. I needed to back off a little today so I went at below my normal PRE pace. [In case anyone is reading this and thinking, "what is that fool doing?"] I am wary of the effect that my diet is having and will have on my training. While I accept that my power output will decrease with the carb-depletion that comes from a calorically deficient diet I realize that I can only get so depleted so power loss beyond that initial drop has to be due to becoming aerobically weaker. Permanent power loss is unacceptable, especially if that includes a lower power-to-weight ratio. 200 watts in training will be my minimum cut-off point. I refuse to sink below that level. Before that leads to me cease my diet, though, I will try going back to training 3-4 days per week to improve recovery. If I am able to continue my diet until a month and a half before Battle Mountain I will do a three-day carb load and see what effect that has on a normal training session. If I can perform at an acceptable level for that session I will continue the diet. If not, I will start adding calories and consider the whole weight-loss, reduced-power episode a mid-season break that I needed anyway.

No comments: