Monday, February 4, 2013

training 2-4-13

Folsom Canal, 33.5 miles. QuestXS (foothole covers, hood w/shield). N-31.0, S-30.5, N-32.8, S-30.7. Two days ago I placed a 1/2" piece of camp mat behind my hips and moved the bottom bracket forward and then bonded it in place. As I left for today's ride I immediately felt like I couldn't breathe fully and felt a bit claustrophobic. WTH? Eventually, though, I settled in and established some breathing room. I noticed, too, that my reach to the pedals was farther forward than normal. It turns out that I have more power in this position. I ended up with higher speeds and less effort (and breathing issues) than two days ago with what should have been beat up legs. I didn't even use my top gear today. Part of the breathing issue, I'm sure, has to do with the fact that I'm growing and taking up more space. I felt it yesterday on the trike when my legs could barely fit between the handlebars. I'm closing in on 200lbs (by design). Ever since I switched back to daily training I've also been doing weight training for my upper body, six days per week. Nothing big but it's a lot more than the almost nothing I had been doing. As long as I'm getting faster, grow on. I can always lower the seat angle a bit to make more space. Just as I started my fourth run on the trail my heart started palpitating. I was going to try and ride it out but my legs went instantly anaerobic so I had to stop until my heart stopped doing double-time. I hope that never happens during a race. It happened during warm-ups once last year at the Putah Creek TT.

No comments: