Saturday, February 2, 2013

training 2-2-13

Folsom Canal, 33.5 miles. QuestXS (foothole covers, hood w/shield). N-31.2, S-30.1, N-31.3, S-31.5. On the first run I was suffocating. Because my shoulders are up against the access hole flange I couldn't raise my shoulders to open my lungs fully. What an awful feeling that is. I started the second run easy as I didn't want to cause myself further distress but eventually my speed built up. I decided to shift to eighth gear instead of seventh and my breathing ability improved (or there was less demand) and my top cruising speed went higher than the first pass. On the fourth pass I used ninth gear and things improved even more. Still, I think I'm going to have to slide forward in the seat about 1/2", moving the BB forward accordingly. After I left the trail I managed to throw the chain both off the chainring and the cassette so I had to untape one of the foothole covers and remove the derailleur cover. At times like these I sure miss the simplicity of simpler machines. Once I got underway I noticed that the pedals seemed farther away. As soon as I pushed on the pedals the bottom bracket assembly came apart. The band clamps I was using slipped off the BB assembly so I ended up with a variable length boom. Rather than stop again I rode the remaining five miles home using my hamstrings to maintain proper distance. I'm glad I felt good enough to push it today. It exposed two flaws. I knew I'd eventually have to come up with a more permanent solution for the BB and now I'll be able to add some more height as well since I'm forced to work on it.

No comments: