Monday, November 19, 2012

training thoughts

I took some measurements of my position and came up with a seat angle of 28 degrees, seat height of 5.75" and bottom bracket height of 14" (40 degrees and 11" over is my ideal position). This is much more open than I was hoping for and I'm really feeling it. I can feel the ache in my lower quads now. I was hoping to do six-day per week training throughout the winter but as things are I have to rethink that. Daily training is taking a toll on my quads and no amount of trying to work around it is giving me adequate relief and my other, primary muscles, are getting short-changed when it comes to workload as a result. I've tried to finagle my body every which way to involve them more without adding further damage to my weak link but there just isn't room inside the shell. (If I could make paragraphs with Blogger I'd start a new one here). There is a remote possibility that I will trade my XS for the larger size. Barring that, it would probably be a good idea if I go back to my old training method of training every other day, or better yet, three days per week and alternating an easy session with a medium-intensity one. This has always worked well for me in the past when I was racing laidback bikes and, as I said, my velo feels just like them. I really wanted to avoid riding in that position because I lose so much power. Another option, and one I considered before I bought the velo is to build a Birk Comet clone which would, in essence, be a rear-wheel drive version of my tailfaired, dual-20 FWD. I could train to my hearts content on that. Anyway, I want to give myself at least 1000 miles in the XS to see if things change before I do anything that extreme.

No comments: