Tuesday, November 20, 2012

seat adjustment

As I was laying in bed with my bothersome quad tendons I realized I made a big mistake when I removed one of the two pads behind my hips that I used as shims. While it gave me a better distance to the bottom bracket, which admittedly felt too close all along, it negated the benefit by reintroducing lumbar curve (which is significant on the stock Quest seat). Nothing does more to load up my quads and knees than lumbar curve. While it feels great as a seat it does bad things for my physical performance. I learned that a long time ago when I was a powerlifter. Even though it is "correct" form to arch your back when you squat I used a neutral, or even slightly rounded, spine. Arching my back only resulted in losing at least 50lbs. of squatting power. Arching my back on the bike reduces my ability to activate my hips and hamstrings. What I should have done since my bottom bracket is at the limit of forward extension is to move the seat back 1/2". Oops. The other option is to trim the leading edge of the channel that the bottom bracket is welded to. That will allow it to slide farther forward. But, that will lower the BB even more, though slightly, opening the body angle as opposed to closing it by sliding the seat back. That's a no-brainer. Luckily I have just enough shoulder room. Now that I have shoulder pads in place it makes a nice comfortable pocket to brace against. Before the pads the shell was digging into my shoulders. Well, I hope this works out. I'm running out of options. As I'm reverting back to my three day per week routine I'll be taking today off. It's not easy to do once you condition your brain to get out there everyday. Of course, I've learned countless times over the decades how foolhardy it is to demand that your body cater to its psychological needs. That's probably the number one cause of unrealized fitness potential. Yet, still, it's such a tempting trap to fall into. Yes, it's due to craziness but unfortunately some crazy is needed to convince yourself that how fast you can ride a bike has any meaning in the grand scheme of things. Or, to realize that it doesn't and carry on anyway.

No comments: