Saturday, November 24, 2012

Mini velopalooza, training 11-24-12

Rancho Murieta-Ione course, 48 miles. QuestXS (open cockpit). 22.9mph average (not a steady-state ride). Peter Borenstadt and Greg Thomas came over with their velomobiles for the ride. We did some coastdown comparisons and though we equalized our weights there were too many small differences that clouded the results. The speeds were too close to say for certain one way or another which was more aero. Peter's Mango with visor and faired wheel openings was surprisingly aerodynamic, though. I moved the seat farther back, to the absolute max, and steepened the seat angle even more. I also raised the bottom bracket 3/4". It feels much better now. On the ride home I spent a great deal of time over 30mph without taxing myself. I broke training speed records on many parts of the course. I even climbed equal to my best speeds on my unfaired bikes on the longest climb. On one downhill I beat my usual good-day speed by over 10mph.

No comments: