Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Training 11-14-12

Galt, 30 miles. QuestXS (open cockpit). 26mph average. That's kind of an all-time record for a training ride on this course. I did 25.9mph on my tailfaired, dual-20 FWD but that Galt course was 10% longer with more stops. Speaking of stops, I think I might have to switch courses on my harder training days. I've been giving an all new meaning to the term "California stop". Even though I'm riding out in the country it's only a matter of time before the sheriff gets me. I had to put the rear seat bracket back on. The velcro isn't enough to keep the chain cover at full height when I'm sitting on it (obviously). Oh well, I like it better that way anyway. A little more stretch in my posterior chain. It only raises my head an inch and my shoulders not at all since they're inside the shell. I'm getting the proper pedaling technique down for this position. On my trike I could push with my glutes and hamstrings without over-involving my quadriceps. In the velo I can't. Any attempts at pushing the pedals above a certain threshold and my quads are on fire. Instead, I'm having to rely primarily on pulling with my hamstrings from the top of the stroke down. As a consequence of this I'm having to use a lower cadence to get optimum activation since my hamstrings are slow(twitch). If I try to spin faster they can't keep up (contract fast enough) and my quads, being fast-twitch, jump in to help with unpleasant results. Interesting, to me at least, is that I can't make my hamstrings burn no matter how much force I put to the pedals. My hamstrings aren't strong enough. Well, if hamstring strength is my limiter then, whoop-dee-doo, I get to lift weights. Until now my lifting has been limited to standing clean and presses and lying triceps presses with whopping 9lb dumbbells, doing sets of 25 on the overheads and sets of 50 on the triceps presses. Now, I think I'll add in some Romanian deadlifts. edit: did Romanian deadlifts, 110lbs x 20 reps for starters

No comments: