Monday, November 12, 2012

Training 11-12-12

Galt, 30 miles. QuestXS (open cockpit). 24.5mph average. I modified my seat position. I eliminated the rear seat support bracket and replaced it with a small aluminum angle. I know this is supposed to be a no-no, placing the stress on the rear flange of the seat but the narrower tail on the XS seat seems to be plenty beefy for the job. I did have issues though. When I made the modification I checked for drivetrain clearance and everything seemed okay. During today's ride, though, I noticed the chain wouldn't travel backwards when I back-pedaled. When I finished the ride and was going slow enough I could hear the drag. It ends up I was sitting on the idler. The seat was pressing on the idler/chain guard which was pressing on the idler flange. I had the chain guard slightly off center which effectively lowered the height over the idler flange. Centering it seems to have corrected the problem.
My new position. Hopefully it will allow for an extra low-profile (home-made) hood.

No comments: