Monday, December 17, 2012

Training 12-17-12

Folsom Canal, 44.5 miles. QuestXS (open cockpit). 21.0mph average. This ride was done at a health-inducing ~50% effort. I have a sneaking suspicion, just as I did back when I was riding every other day and alternating 50 and 70% days, that training exclusively at this (50%) intensity might be the best possible way for me to achieve maximum race fitness. I call it Under-the-Radar-Training (URT) as opposed to what I have been doing lately, Hardly-Under-the-Radar-Training (HURT). By under the radar I'm referring to the endocrine system. Training above a certain intensity causes a rise in the production of anabolic hormones. That's great for a while until the pendulum swings the other way in the body's effort to maintain homeostasis. With my old body that return swing comes pretty quickly. Since I don't have access to a time machine and am unwilling to use drugs to counter the catabolic onslaught I think I'll try sticking with 50% and not swinging the pendulum; just focus on maximum health and when race day comes just go kamikaze-style. Another way I'm reducing stress is going back to riding on the Folsom Canal Trail. Thoughts of not wanting to deal with traffic have been entering my mind and that's a sign of overtraining for me. Also, I put the 140mm cranks back on. After the previous two rides I've been feeling a little knee pain. Too much intensity probably caused some of that but even though I raised the bottom bracket I still feel it needs to be raised another two inches. As it is, with the increased range of motion my knee angle is too acute at the top of the stroke.

No comments: