Thursday, December 13, 2012

Training 12-13-12

Rancho Murieta (long course), 29 miles. QuestXS (open cockpit). 24.1mph average. I was slower than expected. I had a 23.1mph average at the turnaround point. My best on the tailfaired, dual-20 FWD was 26.0mph at that point. I'm wary of the fact that I'm doing a lot of moderate powered rides without any easy ones. This is the first year I've ever trained like that. I may be killing my aerobic top end by doing that. When I was riding the dual-20 FWD I was alternating harder and easy rides for six days per week. It would probably serve me well to do that again and keep my average speed below 22mph on slow days. That's probably what I SHOULD do. I'll see how I feel tomorrow. I don't want to hold myself back if I don't feel like it. Another way I can look at it could be that this is winter base training and I should only concern myself with putting in work and not concern myself with my aerobic top end at this time. Then when race season comes I can start taking steps backward to get a running jump to race fitness. These mild beatings I'm taking on an almost daily basis might actually be saving me from myself by preventing me from flying too close to the sun when it doesn't matter. After all, I did burn out when I was riding the dual-20 FWD. I was flying high, breaking training records, then suddenly crashing like Icarus. Even though I'm not exhibiting record-breaking fitness I feel pretty good.

No comments: