Sunday, October 21, 2012

Training 10-21-12

plus 3 days. Folsom Canal-usual distance. My legs felt strong today so I decided to do a little testing. Even though they felt strong their aerobic capacity didn't seem to improve. I did two short efforts. The first was 3:30 with an average wattage of 315 and the second was a lower intensity effort of 6:30 for 277 watts. I expected the second effort to be easier for the given load and it gave me the familiar feeling of riding a dying horse. Some of that might be due to my position. Even though the overall body angle is good the forward rotation makes the push portion of the stroke too quad dominant (my recent quad growth verifies that). As a result, when going hard the whole thing feels funky and not mechanically efficient. When I'm rotated back I can push with my hips and virtually deactivate my quads. Anyway, I don't think I'm going to have a lot of success chasing watts with this configuration. I need to hollow out the stays of my trike so I can fit a 700c wheel back there again and then put some bend back in the frame. That will be a lot less work than what I'd need to do to make the two-wheeler optimal. The two-wheeler as it is is great for general, low-wattage riding. The handling is so neutral that it isn't any more stressful to ride than the trike. edit: also, adding the lumbar support shifted more emphasis on my quads. I realized it right away but with my back in the condition it was I had no other choice.

No comments: