Saturday, April 13, 2013

training 4-13-13

Folsom Canal, 44.5 miles (2968 YTD). QuestXS (foothole covers, hood w/shield). N-33.5, S-31.2, N-34.0, S-30.3, N-28.4, S-26.9. Today was interesting. Despite eating only 800 calories yesterday and nothing before today's ride I was able to do two 32mph+ average round-trips. I was petering out by the third round so I just took it easy. Throughout the ride I could really feel the lack of calories and glycogen storage during accelerations and in my accelerating cadence. Otherwise, I felt good. As a matter of fact I felt extra free-breathing. I don't know if it was due to the lack of carbs (I have anecdotal evidence that suggests that may be the case) or the Ibuprofin I'm on. That brings me to another weird thing that has happened to me. Last week I came down with a flu-like all-over body soreness while feeling hot and cold at the same time. I took some Ibuprofin and the symptoms went away. I have no other symptoms. Last Wednesday it came back and I hurt so bad that I was unable to sleep. I took some more Ibuprofin and the symptoms again went away. I was able do Thursday's PR-setting ride while in this state. It's still with me today. As soon as the Ibuprofin wears off the pain and hot-cold comes back so I'm bouncing from being a cripple to being able to do my best rides and feeling perfectly fine. What's up with that?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Randy, look at Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness DOMS on Wiki.
Greg

randy said...

Greg, this is something else. Having been a lifter for most of my life I know DOMS very well. It feels just like flu pain and except for feeling hot and cold at the same time I don't have any other symptoms. Weird stuff. I'm going to try some benadryl this afternoon. I'm wondering if it might be an allergy.