Friday, March 15, 2013

training 3-15-13

Folsom Canal, 44.5 miles (2183.5 YTD). QuestXS (foothole covers, hood w/shield). N-30.9, S-31.7, N-32.9, S-32.5, N-30.5, S-31.6. 32.7mph avg (32.9+32.5/2) is a single round-trip training record. It was pretty easy on the legs. The first two runs were done in a lower gear and higher cadence. It's amazing the effect it had on my breathing and heartrate. Even though they were slower with less muscular effort my heart and lungs were working hard. The next two runs, which were a PR, were much easier on my heart and lungs (and not hard on my legs). I wonder if this is a function of bodyweight. I prefer making power using a higher cadence but that is not going to happen in my present condition. I wonder if things would change if I was 20lbs lighter? Hmmm, that would be a good excuse to lose weight. If I knew it needed to be done I could do it without effort. Of course, looking more like an athlete instead of an American recumbent-riding, overweight, bike-path commando would be icing on the cake. Perhaps after my watt test I can experiment. If it happens that I end up losing power as I get lighter I can always gain it back leading up to Battle Mountain. Actually, gaining weight from a too-low bodyweight is the optimal way for me to prepare for an event from a hormonal perspective so there isn't much to lose in trying.

1 comment:

Larry Lem said...

No blog updates in 9 days. I hope all is well.

Larry