Thursday, August 16, 2012

8/15 TT result

23:15 for a speed of 25.81mph. That's an improvement of 2.16mph from three weeks ago. I found out the hard way that I need to reshape my tailfairing behind my head. Since I don't wear a helmet or breathe very hard in training I didn't know I was restricted. A mile into the race I began to suffocate. I couldn't put my head back far enough to open my airway fully. When I tried my helmet would lift up off my head. Eventually I had to jettison it into a field. That improved things a bit but still I could have used more air. This is a new phenomena for me. In the old open position I could never develop enough power to tax my lungs (or heart). I went back to look for my helmet but I didn't find it. I wasn't too motivated to get it back. It was a nineteen year-old helmet. I'll have to make one now. I have a few more things to do to clean up the aerodynamics of my trike and with improved respiration I'm hopeful of eventually hitting 27mph. I heard some pings near the end of the race. It sounded like spokes. I could see the finish line in the distance and I was praying that if something was going blow it would wait until I posted a time. I would hate to do all of that work for nothing. The next 10mi. TT is in two weeks. Before this last race I was considering backing off for a while and just doing easy rides as I'm starting to feel extra tiredness creeping in. Afterwards, though, I'm thinking of giving it a go. Maybe that will change when the post-race funk hits (probably this afternoon).

No comments: